Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My Entries in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest for July/August 2014

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, here are my five entries in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest for July/August 2014. This magazine's caption contest permits multiple entries. As always, the cartoon is by Bob Mankoff, who also serves as judge.

“It isn’t your client’s sexual orientation that bothers me.”
"Where does your client stand?"
“Do you both understand the gravity of the charges?”
"I'll have no flip-flopping in my court."
“… And three counts of stealing the patents to antigravity shoes.”


I thought my second caption was probably the best, but then I really don't get to make these determinations, do I? The finalists for this contest have now been announced and I am pleased to report that one of my captions once again has been selected as a finalist. Finally Princeton will be known for something!

Statistically, this means I have made it to  finalist status in six of the seven Moment contests I've entered, as compared with zero of the seventy-odd New Yorker contests. Of the six completed Moment contests, one year's worth, I've come up with the winning caption for one of them.

Moment Cartoon Caption Contest Finalists for July/August 2014


November 29, 2014 Update:  Winning Caption
Winning Caption by William Agress, Lawrenceville, NJ


Note:  Last go round, Mr. Mankoff drew a domestic shootout. My caption was right on the mark. It achieved finalist status. Alas, it did not win. See the winning caption for the May/June 2014 Contest.

If you wish to vote for your favorite caption in the July/August contest, you have until October 10. While you're on the site, you may also wish to enter the September/October contest yourself. I have already started on that one.

Can you believe the blatant error inscribed by Bob Mankoff in my copy of his memoir? Learn why my current goal is to win the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest a total of four times and put this whole sorry episode behind me!

My year and a half long history of entering any number and variety of Cartoon Caption Contests has been carefully archived within the confines of this blog. See for yourself what I've been up to.

01296

No comments:

Post a Comment