Monday, July 13, 2015

George Segal: Circus Acrobats

George Segal's Circus Acrobats from 1981 [now corrected to 1988] is installed in the lobby just outside the main entrance to the Princeton University Art Museum. Of all the artist's works, surely this plaster sculpture is one of his most joyous, a truly exhilarating work.

George Segal (American, 1924-2000)
Circus Acrobats, 1981 [now corrected to 1988]

Plaster
Princeton University Art Museum, Gift of the George and Helen Segal Foundation [2009-80 a-c]       

March 21, 2020 Update:  Comments left below by Neil S. Schwartz prompted me to contact the museum to ascertain the actual casting dates for this piece. I'm pleased to report the museum's research confirmed Mr. Schwartz's contention that the year of casting was 1988. They have corrected the year on their website (but erroneously retained 1981 as the copyright year).
https://artmuseum.princeton.edu/collections/objects/57120


Note:  There are more disparate examples of sculpture to see right here in the blog.

01570

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Friday, May 31, 2019

      To Whom It May Concern:

      I have been trying for the longest time to give someone the correct dates of "Circus Acrobats" original production in George Segal’s studio in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
      Of these two separate models, I am one the one outstretched flying ready to be caught sculpture. (The one on the top right.)

      *The dates of ORIGINAL body casting actually being made.
      27 August 1988 (Saturday) The first person.
      03 September 1988 (Saturday) Me. (Neil Schwartz)

      I promise you, on my daughter’s life, that these are the correct and 100% accurate dates for the body castings that now live in the Princeton University, Library. My oldest son and wife had gone to see these when they went to the library three years ago.

      Kindest regards,
      Sincerely,

      Neil S. Schwartz
      Formally of Westfield, NJ

      Now I am a resident of Howell, NJ
      My email address if needed: Neil7714@aol.com


      Delete
    2. I think you should make your case to the George and Helen Segal Foundation.

      Delete
    3. I don't need to, Professor Dr. Donald P. Lokuta has already checked with me, I was correct with the dates. The error is on whomever put (1981) in. I was still in Westfield High School. These castings are exactly dated: Saturday, August 27, 1988. The first model. I was made on Saturday, September 03, 1988. You can check with his daughter Rene and his wife Helen and Dr. Donald P. Lokuta my photography professor from Kean College back then. We remand friends from then and still now.
      And I most likely spelled Rene’s name wrong, I apologies.
      I certify that my information is 100% correct. Nothing else I can do to help you, you yourselves will need to contact the foundation.
      Thank you,

      Neil Schwartz
      Neil7714@aol.com
      I live in Howell, NJ now.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. THE DATE WAS 1988 PERIOD. THAT IS WHEN THE BODY CASTS WERE MADE. PERIOD. 1988 1988 1988 1988 1988 1988 1988 1988 GOT IT!

      Delete
    2. The 1981 date I cite for the sculpture comes from the Princeton University Art Museum: https://artmuseum.princeton.edu/collections/objects/57120

      Delete
  3. I have tried to contact anyone there, you know something it is a shame.

    ReplyDelete