Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #405

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #405 for November 25, 2013. The cartoon is provided by Tom Cheney. The caption is provided by me.

"Hungry?"


I had a few other caption ideas:
"Frankly, no, it doesn't remind me of "The Lone Ranger."
"I call it rightsizing."
"We offer convenient, low-interest financing."

"No, ma'am, stuffing is not included."
"Or thirty-seven hours if you like it well done."


Now the very week after this contest appeared in the New Yorker, the magazine is running another size gag on the cover. If I didn't know better, I'd think the cover art is being used to pay an homage to the caption contest. But I do know better.
Tom Gauld, The New Yorker, December 2, 2013


December 2, 2013 Update:  The Finalists

December 16, 2013 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  My previous entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest was decidedly Presidential, not that I'm running for office or anything. It can be found here. I had only two ideas for a caption this time. As it turns out, the one I didn't run with was surprisingly close to a finalist's caption. I remain, as ever, unable to choose wisely from among my sundry caption concoctions.

Tom Cheney is the artist behind some of my least successful Caption Contest entries, but that might not entirely be his fault. See more blog posts about his work here.

You can always see more of Tom Cheney's New Yorker work in the Cartoon Bank here.

Then catch up with the latest news about cartoonist Tom Cheney on Ink Spill here.

I may not have cracked the code to the New Yorker's caption contest, but I am currently a proud finalist in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest. Read all about it here. You can even vote for your favorite caption entry here.

0964

No comments:

Post a Comment