Tuesday, January 10, 2023

The CartoonStock Caption Contest #162

It's time to disrupt the CartoonStock Caption Contest #162. To recap, here's how the new cash prize contest works: $5 buys three and only three entries. Real cash prizes are $500 for first place and $100 for each of the five runners up. As of this writing, I've invested $40 over eight contests and I managed to win $100 from one of these outings. So far the math is good for contestants and bad for CartoonStock. Few enough people enter that the odds are favorable even for an indifferent captioner like me. My three new entries are shown below at the top of the list; the lower captions were written by me but, on due consideration, withheld. The drawing of conference room chaos is by John Klossner.


"Were we expecting corporate raiders?"
"Ah! They've finally elected a Speaker."
"We've got to find a better doorman."
* * *
"Can I assume we'll be working through lunch again?"
"I tried to tell them you weren't in."
"Your three o'clock is early."
"They want to cash in their stock options."
"They're not here to negotiate."
"The union is getting militant."





January 22, 2023 Update:  The Winner
https://www.cartoonstock.com/caption-contest/winners



My doorman caption is first mentioned in the contest deliberations by Bob Mankoff during minute 18 and it is chosen as a runner up in minute 31.
Contest #162 Deliberations


Eight-time New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest winner Lawrence Wood had this to say about my entry in his Caption Contest Commentary:

https://www.cartoonstock.com/blog/viking-office-caption-contest-commentary-with-lawrence-wood/


This is my second payout in the new cash prize contest. It's the twenty-first time Larry Wood cited a caption of mine in his commentary.




04195

No comments:

Post a Comment