Sunday, January 22, 2023

Donald Duck to the Max

On Independence Day ten years ago, I posted a serigraph by Peter Max of the Statue of Liberty. The eBay seller had come to my attention after selling the original art to Ilonka Karasz's 1955 poison ivy cover for The New Yorker. I was perplexed that the 1994 Max serigraph had a 2005 copyright stamp on the verso. It could have been a listing error by the seller, I suppose, or a stamp that was added after the fact to
 unsold inventory. Whatever the case, I was unable to resolve the issue which I noted on another Max serigraph from the same seller.

Of all the colors in which Max depicted Walt Disney's Donald Duck, the variant with the red beak is my least favorite. Like the Statue of Liberty print, it is numbered 18 in its respective series, here out of 500. It is also dated 1994 with a later 2005 copyright stamp. Like the other Max serigraph, the seller guaranteed its authenticity provided returns were made in 14 days.




Peter Max
eBay listing ended August 27, 2013
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peter-Max-Disney-Donald-Duck-Serigraph-Limited-Edition-Hand-Signed-/140987205669?pt=UK_art_prints_GL&hash=item20d37e0825

Peter Max
eBay item description 





Note:  My thanks to David from Manhattan for suggesting the artist for today's post.

The eBay seller fast-fox-art of 2013 today goes by the name finefoxart. The seller has 100% positive feedback.



04207

No comments:

Post a Comment