Sunday, November 29, 2015

Blog Post No. 1700: The New Yorker Apocrypha

On March 26, author Richard Gehr interviewed cartoonist Edward Koren at the New School. Prior to the event, Mr. Gehr had noted this blog and been kind enough to invite me to the talk. When I introduced myself, he complimented the blog and described it as "the New Yorker apocrypha."

Interesting. Over the years, I have come up with a number of ways of characterizing my blog, but that wasn't one of them. My official description of the blog is rather less succinct:
An art blog about cartoons, illustration, and those cartoon caption contests. New Yorker artists merit special note here. As they should.
That is quite literal and attempts to include a variety of the things I do here, whereas Richard Gehr just gets right to the point. The Biblical apocrypha, of course, refers to written works not included in the official canon. My blog contains any number of artistic endeavors by New Yorker artists that did not appear in the magazine. In theory, this should be the easiest blog in the world to put together, as any New Yorker artist can create dozens of works for every one that appears in the magazine.

Richard Gehr's new book is I Only Read It for the Cartoons: The New Yorker's Most Brilliantly Twisted Artists. Observe how my copy of it became a part of the New Yorker apocrypha.


Edward Koren in  conversation with Richard Gehr

Richard Gehr's I Only Read It for the Cartoons:
The New Yorker's Most Brilliantly Twisted Artists

I Only Read It for the Cartoons:
The New Yorker's Most Brilliantly Twisted Artists
signed, inscribed, and drawn upon by Ed Koren

I Only Read It for the Cartoons:
The New Yorker's Most Brilliantly Twisted Artists
signed and inscribed by Richard Gehr


Note:  As you now might expect, most of my posts about Edward Koren have nothing to do with the New Yorker.

Only one percent of the blog posts here get to be Centennial posts:

If you want to know what's in the first 1699 posts, why not start with the index?

01700

No comments:

Post a Comment