Saturday, November 14, 2015

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #497

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #497 for November 9, 2015. The drawing is by Zachary Kanin.


"I thought I could... I thought I could..."


Here are some other too-closely-related caption ideas:
"No one loves the Little Engine That Couldn't Care Less."
"No one loves the Little Engine That Couldn't."
"No one loves the Little Engine That Failed."




November 16, 2015 Update: The Finalists




November 30, 2015 Update:  Winning Caption



Note:  Last week Tom Cheney showed us how to hose down a toaster in the driveway. My caption came out burnt to a crisp. See the hot and crusty results of Contest #496.

You can chug-a-lug further blog posts about Zachary Kanin in the archives.

01684

4 comments:

  1. I think I like the 2nd of your discarded ones better than your entry because it's also funny, but a little less obvious.

    My entry was more indirect: "I'm not over the hill."

    But now I think mine might be too indirect. I thought of another (too late) that strikes a balance: "Now I'm the little engine that could get twenty years without parole."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I finally get inspired after the contest is closed.

      Delete
    2. I think my subconscious sometimes works on them. My entry for this week came to me before I was fully awake one morning.

      Delete