Monday, February 3, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #414

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #414 for February 3, 2014. The cartoon is by Harry Bliss. The caption is by me.

"It once shut down the G.W.B., but you didn't hear it from me."


Here are a few other ideas of mine that went unused:
"You'll never lose another remote."
"You can even control what your neighbors are watching."
"Here's the next big thing."

"I'm afraid you're not getting the big picture."
"They say this model can direct bridge lane closures from as far away as Trenton."


February 10, 2013 Update:  The Finalists


March 7, 2014 Update:  Winning Caption



Note:  Last week's entry of mine in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #413 is here. Spoiler alert: I am not a finalist!

Well, I may never make the grade in the New Yorker's Cartoon Caption Contest, but fear not! As we speak I am a finalist in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest! You can read all about my divine entry in this contest here, and cast a vote for the worthiest of three finalists here.

The last time I tried to write a caption based on a current event, things went horribly wrong very quickly. CBS and Time Warner Cable settled their ugly dispute, and within 24 hours of submitting my entry, I had a worthless caption on my hands. See the sorry results of Contest #393 here.

You can see previous Attempted Bloggery posts featuring cartoonist Harry Bliss here.

His New Yorker work in the Cartoon Bank is here.

Then there's news about Harry Bliss which is covered on Ink Spill here.

Size gags are nothing new to readers of this blog. See what I mean here.

01036

2 comments:

  1. I feel like your caption "I'm afraid you're not getting the big picture" would have won this contest outright.

    ReplyDelete