Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Wine, Women, and Song: More from a Blogger's Birthday Wish List

If you've been hanging out here for a while, you know what I like to get on my birthday, right? Well, once again I've surprised myself with an image of a bountiful woman jumping out of a cake. I know, it isn't a real cake and for that matter it isn't a real woman, but a man can dream. I'm much more comfortable in the world of cartoon imagery anyway.

I can't imagine this sort of thing was ever commonplace entertainment, but this gag was so ubiquitous, perhaps it wasn't all that rare. Maybe it still goes on; I really wouldn't know. The film "Under Siege" (1992) suggested it does, and much of what I know about the world today comes from Steven Seagal movies. While I never in my travels expect to see a real live woman jump out of a cake, I'm still quite happy to have encountered this little surprise so often on my special day if only here on my own blog.

The lively illustration is by Michael ffolkes and it was published on the cover of Punch for the January 20-26, 1971 issue. The cheering men, thankfully, are still older than I am. For that matter, so is Steven Seagal. Thanks, I shouldn't have!

Michael ffolkes,
Punch, January 20-26, 1971
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Punch-Magazine-Jan-26-1971-Wine-Women-Song-/120797249786?pt=Magazines&hash=item1c2013c0fa&nma=true&si=VJo29%252F7WbHpl1SY9gWmnl4%252FkT80%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Note:  The late Michael ffolkes merits more attention from your humble blogger. For now, I have only this to share with you, but it's a doozy!

Did I mention that today is my birthday? See everything on this blogger's birthday wish list here.

01055

No comments:

Post a Comment