Sunday, September 20, 2020

William Hamilton: The Tautology of Their Symbolism

A 1971 New Yorker cartoon by William Hamilton was deemed good enough to be included in The New Yorker Album of Drawings 1925-1975. The setting is a college seminar; the Harvard seal is prominent in the window. A professor and several students are seated at a long table while one student makes his thoughtful argument.


It was only when listening to the expanded audio edition of Steve Stoliar's compelling Raised Eyebrows: My Years Inside Groucho's House (1996, 2012) that I learned that Groucho Marx himself had owned Hamilton's original cartoon art corresponding to this gag. And why wouldn't he? The cartoon mocks academic pretense, as Groucho himself had been known to do, while referencing three classic Marx Brothers films. He had it proudly displayed in his Beverly Hills home. Having already contacted Steve to inquire about a book that was once in Groucho's library, I decided to ask as well whether he knew what had become of that cartoon original after Groucho's death. He responded:


No. It was in the front entryway on the left. Across from it was the John Decker "Dutch masters" painting and nobody seems to know what happened to that either, dammit. I was out of the loop after he died. I know a solid chunk of memorabilia did go to the Smithsonian, but when I found a "Paris Review" book that [Dick] Cavett inscribed to Groucho at a local Hollywood bookstore a few years later, I was irked when the bookseller told me there was like a garage sale of a lot of Groucho's stuff, and he got that book amongst other things. I wish I'd've known...But—again—I know not where any of the art ended up.


I asked the same question of acclaimed Groucho portrayer Frank Ferrante, who also knows a thing or two about the comedian and his family life. He replied:


I don’t know of its whereabouts. In fact I didn’t realize he actually owned the original art.


So, a dead end. With no new information to go on, there are frustratingly many possibilities here. The Hamilton drawing might still be held by the heirs of Groucho Marx or it might have found a new owner. It is my hope that someone reading this may know and provide us with more information. A photograph or two, perhaps?


With cartoons by Warren Miller and William Hamilton


Note:  My thanks to Steve Stoliar for so ably assisting me in my search for the hopelessly unfindable. This is his fifth mention here on the blog. As I've noted just recently, I highly recommend the expanded audiobook edition of Raised Eyebrows which includes Steve's own outstanding narration and voice characterizations. Would I steer you wrong?


Thanks again to Frank Ferrante. This is already his second mention here on the blog.

Let me repeat myself: Attempted Bloggery seeks information, preferably documentary evidence, on the current whereabouts of this splendid work of original cartoon art by William Hamilton. If you've encountered it at any time after Groucho's death in 1977, please drop me a line. Or, better still, write me a thesis.

I'd also be happy to hear from readers with information about other celebrities who might be fortunate enough to own a work or two of original New Yorker art. Relevant photos and stories would be a plus.


Quick Links to the Attempted Bloggery Archives:



03387

No comments:

Post a Comment