Thursday, December 25, 2014

I Believe in Father Christmas

Greg Lake performs his seasonal single "I Believe in Father Christmas" in St. Bride's Church, Fleet Street. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull joins him on flute. Other musicians are David Arch and Florian Opahle. The song dates from 1975 and this beautiful performance which includes the church choir was recorded in 2006. The song's second theme is borrowed from a movement in Sergei Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kijé Suite, "Troika," which is meant to invoke the bells of a three-horse open sleigh.

"I Believe in Father Christmas" (1975)
By Greg Lake
Ian Anderson, Flute
David Arch, Keyboards
Florian Opahle, Acoustic Guitar
St. Bride's Church, Fleet Street, London, 2006

"Troika" from Lt. Kijé Suite, Op. 60, 1934
 Sergei Prokofiev, Composer
Anatole Fistoulari, Conductor
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra


Note:  There are no other posts here about Greg Lake, but I think I can find a few about Ian Anderson.

There is one earlier post on Sergei Prokofiev.

Here's your last opportunity this year to see all my Christmas posts.

01378

No comments:

Post a Comment