Saturday, March 29, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #420

If it please the Court, I present my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #420 for March 24, 2014. The dynamic cartoon is by Drew Dernavich. The sedentary caption is by me.

"I miss the old lawyerly back-and-forth."



Here are a few of my unused captions, ladies and gentlemen of the jury:
"For once I can't get Justice Thomas to pipe down."
"She's put a new spin on the argument."
"I'd like to see the other branches get this innovative."
"And this is why we don't allow cameras."
"She just made a controversial point."
"Advantage First Amendment."
"I missed the opening salvo."



March 31, 2014 Update:  The Finalists



April 14, 2014 Update:  Wining Caption





Note:  Last week's New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest was based on a drawing by P. C. Vey and set in a doctor's examination room. The doctor walks in with a giant hypodermic needle. What's funny about that? I sure don't know. You can see the clinical results of Contest #419 here.

While I may may not be able to write a decent New Yorker caption, Moment magazine isn't so picky. Four times running I have been selected as a finalist in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest. Is that a record? I wouldn't have any idea. Ask the people over at Guinness. In the meantime, I have yet to write a winning caption and I doubt this month will be any different. I don't myself know whom to vote for. You can get the whole story here and vote for your favorite caption here.

My previous attempts to write captions for Drew Dernavich drawings have not been, shall we say, my best efforts. See my older posts concerning this artist here.

Soon I'll be posting my 1,100th blog post. Drumroll, please!

01099

No comments:

Post a Comment