Saturday, March 15, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #418

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #418 for March 10, 2014. The cartoon is by Tom Cheney, but I created the comfy caption all by myself.

"Was it your stomach that growled?"

These didn't make my cut:
"If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not snuggle just now."
"Maybe we shouldn't watch 'Extreme Makeover Home Edition.'"
"This is the last time we rent a furnished apartment."
"Remember, no feeding between the commercials."
"Maybe a visit to 'Antiques Road Show' could help us."
"What do you say we skip the horror movie marathon?"

"There it is again.  I'm sure I felt a claw foot creak."


March 17, 2014 Update: The Finalists


March 31, 2014 Update: Winning Caption


Note:  Last week's caption contest pitted me against a sea monster. Rather unfair, I thought. See the aftermath of Contest #417 here.

Historically, no cartoonist gives me more trouble in these New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contests than Tom Cheney. You'll have to peruse the archives here to see for yourself. It's just too painful for me to summarize.

Tom Cheney's brilliant New Yorker work may be seen in the Cartoon Bank here.

News about cartoonist Tom Cheney is on Ink Spill here.

I've never gained any traction in the New Yorker's caption contest, but I'm okay with that. Really. On the bright side, this is the fourth time in a row I have been selected by none other than Bob Mankoff as a finalist in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest. I kid you not. Read all about my uncanny ability to come up with references that are a quarter century old here. Then if you like you may vote for your favorite caption entry here.

Posts about the Jewish holiday of Purim may be seen here.

Posts about Spring Break may be seen here.

01083

No comments:

Post a Comment