Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My Entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #400

Here we have my latest entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #400 for October 21, 2013. The cartoon is by David Borchart. The caption is by me.

"We made a killing on the air rights."



I did have one or two other caption ideas:
"Who was supposed to bring the water balloons?
"I'm afraid we've forgotten the pinwheels again."
"Tomorrow's meeting is cancelled due to the drop in atmospheric pressure."
"Well, it seems I am the only one here with a parachute, golden or otherwise."
"So, Carol, are you convinced yet that there's no glass ceiling?"
"Our efforts to reduce the cost of office space have been largely successful."
"Construction of the new headquarters is considerably behind schedule."
"I'd say this was a productive meeting. Now does anyone know how to get down?"
"Resolved:  that the name of our company be changed to Helium Innovations, Inc."

October 28, 2013 Update:  The Finalists


November 11, 2013 Update:  Winning Caption



December 1, 2013 Update:  Cartoonist David Borchart has disclosed to Attempted Bloggery the caption he originally conceived for this cartoon:
"We've outsourced everything -- which leaves us in an interesting dilemma."



Note:  I finally got to use the word bodacious in a New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest entry, but even that didn't help. See my previous contest entry here.

David Borchart has never before appeared on this blog. My bad. His New Yorker work is in the Cartoon Bank here.

News about David Borchart appears on Ink Spill here.

0922

No comments:

Post a Comment