Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gahan Wilson's Implanted Cell Phones

The rapid obsolescence of new technology is the subject of this original color artwork by Gahan Wilson for Playboy magazine. The setting is decidedly futuristic.

Gahan Wilson, "If I'd known it would be obsolete so quickly I'd never [have] had this cell phone implanted in my skull!"
Original artwork for Playboy

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7063&lotNo=92319#Photo

Gahan Wilson, "If I'd known it would be obsolete so quickly I'd never [have] had this cell phone implanted in my skull!"
Original artwork for Playboy

The cartoonist created a more contemporary version of this concept that was published in The New Yorker. Just look at the size of those 1990 cell phones!
Gahan Wilson, The First Modular-Phone Implant Garners Envious Looks Along Fifth Avenue.
The New Yorker,
September 24, 1990, page 44

Gahan Wilson, The First Modular-Phone Implant Garners Envious Looks Along Fifth Avenue.
The New Yorker, 
September 24, 1990, page 44


Note:  There is plenty more about Gahan Wilson on this blog here.

His New Yorker work is available in the Cartoon Bank here.

The website for the documentary "Gahan Wilson:  Born Dead, Still Weird" by Steven-Charles Jaffe is here. It is showing in New York City at the IFC Center Theater through October 17.
"Gahan Wilson:  Born Dead, Still Weird" Q & A
Screening at 2011 San Diego Comic Con

Gahan Wilson's 2009 radio interview on the Leonard Lopate Show is here.

All the latest news about Gahan Wilson can be read on Ink Spill here.

There are a couple of Gahan Wilson illustrations on The Pictorial Arts blog here.

Here are some more posts about cell phones, including yesterday's.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can tell me when the Playboy cartoon was published.

I'm still too angry to write about the government shutdown and the debt ceiling. I said what I had to say about sequestration a while ago here.


0913

No comments:

Post a Comment