Saturday, October 5, 2013

Krazy Kat Photo Pose

In the early days of this blog I sometimes took on enormous tasks that would have been better left to someone with a lighter schedule. A single specialty piece of George Herriman's Krazy Kat at auction somehow prompted me to assemble a very large and fairly comprehensive selection of Krazy Kat specialty images from all over. The result is, quite frankly, jaw-dropping--I wouldn't lie to you. The credit, of course, belongs entirely to George Herriman, one of the greatest comic art geniuses ever.

Now it is time to add another image--or rather, seven months ago it was time, but I'm just getting around to it now. In order to keep my big blog post from overflowing with auction clutter, I'm adding just a single fine image to that post and creating this separate space here to record the auction information from Heritage.

George Herriman, Specialty drawing of Ignatz Mouse, Offissa Bull Pupp,
and Krazy Kat posing for a photograph.
Inscribed, "To that 'Gran Caballero'--y,--/'Charro Pomposo'--/
From--/the Ole Peon--'Herriman'/Jan 1934."
Heritage Auctions, February 22, 2013



George Herriman, Specialty drawing of Ignatz Mouse, Offissa Bull Pupp, and Krazy Kat posing for a photograph.
Inscribed, "To that 'Gran Caballero'--y,--/'Charro Pomposo'--/From--/the Ole Peon--'Herriman'/Jan.1934." Framed.
Heritage Auctions, February 22, 2013

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7073&lotNo=92182#Photo

George Herriman, Specialty drawing of Ignatz Mouse, Offissa Bull Pupp, and Krazy Kat posing for a photograph.
Inscribed, "To that 'Gran Caballero'--y,--/'Charro Pomposo'--/From--/the Ole Peon--'Herriman'/Jan 1934."
Heritage Auctions, February 22, 2013
http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7073&lotNo=92182#Photo


Note:  My large (but never large enough) and essential post on Krazy Kat Specialty Pieces is here, or you can see all my posts on George Herriman together here.

I shouldn't have to say it at this point, but I will anyway:  If you should happen to have glorious original art by George Herriman hanging on your wall and if that art depicts characters from Krazy Kat drawn in a manner never intended for newspaper publication but rather for someone's personal enjoyment, then you can increase the personal enjoyment factor of that piece many times over by sending a photo or high resolution scan to this blog, where it will be included in the world's most comprehensive online archive of Krazy Kat specialty pieces. Have I made myself clear?

I have important things to do with this blog. I can't just stop and write a scathing essay every time some politicians decide their ideology is more important than the welfare of the nation. To me, the partial shut down of the government is little different from sequestration or refusing to raise the debt limit. One blog post fits all, and it's got a beautiful drawing to boot by Mischa Richter that sums it all up better than I ever could. If Richter were alive today, he might finally be able to sell this drawing to The New Yorker. I think they should have purchased it back in the day and saved it for whenever they needed it. Like now.

0902

No comments:

Post a Comment