Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #398

Here is my entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #398 for October 7, 2013. The cartoon is provided by Tom Cheney. The caption is provided by me.


"It's your turn to give him his bath."


I had a few other ideas as well.
"So far no one's come looking for the pizza guy."
"I smell the shrubbery burning again."
"Well, I feel more secure even if it is an empty chain."

October 14, 2013 Update:  A quick glance at the finalists makes it clear that I've misread this week's cartoon and that this couple is clearly meant to be visiting. Fortunately, this sort of glaring error only happens to me (so far) with Tom Cheney's cartoons.

October 28, 2013 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  Play ball! My previous entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #397 can be found here.

Incidentally, Christopher Weyant has revealed his original caption for the cartoon that appeared in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #395 here.

See older blog posts about Tom Cheney here.

You can see more of Tom Cheney's New Yorker work in the Cartoon Bank here.

Catch up with the latest news about Tom Cheney on Ink Spill here.

There is only one more day to vote for a favorite caption in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest. I am one of three finalists. You can read all about my very first captioning success here.

The basketball preseason has begun. I have one recent post on the sport here.

I have nothing to say about the government's partial shutdown beyond what I've already said about sequestration and the debt ceiling, so don't ask. You can read it in the archives.


0907

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. That second caption among the finalists is mine. I feel like I'm living a dream.

    By the way, great blog. Cartoons are my favourite thing in the universe, so I'll be sure to visit again. I hope you (and all your friends and family!) voted for my caption!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Daniel Straus! You're in the big leagues now. I wish you luck in the final tally. Should you win, I'd love a photo of the print they send you to share here on the blog.

      Cartoons are your favorite thing in the universe? I think you've come to the right place.

      Delete