Monday, August 29, 2022

My Entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #816

What is one to make of The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #816 from the issue of August 29, 2022, with its obvious reference to a common phrase? How closely should a good caption allude to that phrase? My caption is shown below. The drawing is by Suerynn Lee.

"Not everyone is meant to be a bricklayer."



These captions didn't hold up:


"It's like talking to a common cliche."
"You never listen to what I say. It's like, it's like...I wish I could think of the right simile."
"And how do you think you're going to drink that?"
"Who do you like besides Pink Floyd?"
"I'm not going to sew you into your shirt every day."
"Red isn't your color."
"No kidding? My grandfather was a Mason."







September 5, 2022 Update:  The Finalists






September 16, 2022 Update:
  I voted for the caption from Burien.



September 19, 2022 Update:
  The Winner







 

04061

No comments:

Post a Comment