Monday, April 20, 2020

My Entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #706

Stand clear of the closing doors and enjoy my entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #706 for April 20, 2020. The drawing is by Ellis Rosen.
"They seem so peaceful in the wild."


These captions derailed early:
"They only come here at rush hour."
"So that's why the MTA couldn't track them down."
"We go home on separate trains."
"I'd give my knapsack for a transit map."
"Quiet. It's mating season."
"Keep an eye on your knapsack at all times and no riding between cars."
"I couldn't hear the announcement either."
"I don't suppose you brought your MetroCard?"
"Not wild. Feral."
"I'd say the line is due for an upgrade."



April 27, 2020 Update:  The Finalists



May 4, 2020 Update:
  I voted with Montclair, which was similar to one of my unsubmitted captions, but that wasn't the only reason for my choice. I didn't think Brooklyn's worked with the two trains headed in opposite directions. Tyler's caption had too many commas for my taste.


May 11, 2020 Update:
  The Winner



Note:  In last week's Caption Contest, cartoonist Julia Suits took us to a well-equipped campsite out West, especially if espresso is your cup of tea. Me, I was a bit too jittery to write a decent caption. Nevertheless, Contest #705 is worth a visit, just like a dude ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment