Monday, April 9, 2018

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #611

Swoop into my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #611 for April 9, 2018. The drawing is by Ellis Rosen.

"Au contraire, I'll be the more adored because I poop in pellets."



These other captions just weren't classy enough for the New Yorker:
"What I need you to do is sing 'Here I Come to Save the Day.'"
"We'll see who's best at delivering for Amazon."
"With the right technology, even you can be replaced."
"Nothing can stop me now but the pavement."



April 16, 2018:  The Finalists



April 23, 2018 Update:  I voted for the first caption.


April 30, 2018 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  This is Ellis Rosen's first appearance on the blog. And I submitted a poop joke.

Last week, cartoonist P. C. Vey sent a chef to the slammer. My caption didn't follow the recipe. Deliver a reprieve to Contest #610.

02511

5 comments:

  1. I met Ellis Rosen on a Tuesday morning last year at The New Yorker. We were both waiting to meet the cartoon editor.
    He's a very talented and humble cartoonist, and I always enjoy seeing his cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I got to meet him at the opening of the exhibition "George Booth—A Cartoonist's Life" last year at the Society of Illustrators.

      Delete
  2. Did you meet George Booth at the exhibition? He's one of my favorite cartoonists, and I wonder why I don't see his cartoons in the NY as often as I used to. Any explanation for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did meet George Booth. He's 92 now and still drawing.

      Delete
  3. 92 and still drawing! And he's probably the most iconic cartoonist for The NY who's still alive. (Ed Koren also qualifies.) So why don't we see his cartoons more often?

    ReplyDelete