Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Entries in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest for November/December 2014

Here I present my six entries in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest for November/December 2014. The Moment cartoon is always by New Yorker cartoon editor Bob Mankoff. Last go-round one of my turtle cartoon captions was perhaps too much of a cliché and the other maybe a little too racy for Moment. This time around I submitted more captions in order to maximize my chances of making it back to finalist status. I also kept it pretty clean, thank you. The strategy worked, I became a finalist, and once more I am able to bring glory to my obscure little town. For those keeping score, to date I have reached finalist status in seven of the nine Moment contests I entered. Of these, I won the contest once, my sole victory in what is now almost two years of writing captions for other people's cartoons.
"Frankly, no, I don't pine for the outdoors."
"Remember when we had a life?
"That settles it.  I'm booking the lobby for my vacation."
"If we'd leased this floor to another insurance firm, we wouldn't have all these potential new customers."
"Now watch how I blend in."
"Agreed.  Tomorrow we wear Speedos."

Moment Cartoon Caption Contest Finalists for November/December 2014


March 30, 2015 Update:  Winning Caption
Moment Cartoon Caption Contest Winning Caption for November/December 2014



Note:  Am I not turtley enough for the Turtle Club? See why my entries in the September/October 2014 Moment Cartoon Contest were not up to speed.

You may vote for your favorite caption in the November/December contest until on or about February 10. Then feel free to join me in entering the January/February contest yourself. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that I would have a real chance at the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest if only it had the same number of entries as Moment.

It's true. Bob Mankoff made a mistake inscribing my personal copy of his bestselling memoir. Yet if I can somehow win the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest a total of four times, it will be automatically corrected without using any white-out.

Cartoon caption contests have taught me a lot about the mechanics of writing captions, but they haven't taught me much about how to win cartoon caption contests. Go ahead and read the whole dossier if you like.

As cartoon editor of the New Yorker, Bob Mankoff is fair game for this blog. Click the link and see what I mean.

01411

No comments:

Post a Comment