Sunday, November 30, 2014

My Entries in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest for September/October 2014

Here are my two entries in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest for September/October 2014. As always, the Moment cartoon is by Bob Mankoff. Of note, one of the finalists is Lawrence Wood, who has won the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest five times, which is more than anyone else. Neither of my own captions made the cut this time, but I'm nevertheless pretty happy with them however unimpressed Mr. Mankoff may be.

Of course, the competition is getting stiffer now, but to date I have reached finalist status in six of the eight Moment contests I entered. Of these, I won the contest once. These remain my only substantive achievements in a year and a half of captioning, but I'm not complaining. Really.

My entries:
"I'll be here all week."
"My wife still says I'm too fast."


The finalists:
Moment Cartoon Caption Contest Finalists for September/October 2014


January 27, 2015 Update:  Winning Caption
Moment Cartoon Caption Contest Winning Caption for September/October 2014



Note:  In the last contest, Mr. Mankoff drew an unconventional courtroom drama. My caption achieved summary judgment as a finalist, but the legal opinion of the readership went against me. See the winning caption for the July/August 2014 Contest.

You may vote for your favorite caption in the September/October contest until on or about December 10. Why not enter the November/December contest yourself? You can see my entries now two months before I report on them here. Let me know how I'm doing.

By now no doubt you are familiar with the error inscribed by Bob Mankoff in my personal copy of his bestselling memoir. If I can just win the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest a total of four times, all will be made well again.

Moment is not the only cartoon caption contest I enter. Most of my flailing efforts are directed at the New Yorker contest, where I have had zero success to date. See the entire long history of my entering all variety of Cartoon Caption Contests and be sure to have a box of tissues handy.

01356

No comments:

Post a Comment