Friday, August 1, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #436

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #436 for July 28, 2014. The cartoon is by Shannon Wheeler.

"It's simple:  surf the net, dodge the big net."



I considered these captions as well and probably should have gone with either one of them instead:
"I feel like a fish out of water."
"How's 'paranoia' for a password?"


August 4, 2014 Update:  The Finalists



August 25, 2014 Update:  Winning Caption



Note:  For last week's contest, cartoonist Michael Crawford drew a motorist's nightmare. Unfortunately, my caption was an Edsel. See the results for Contest #435.

Shannon Wheeler is very well-represented on this blog. I have no special access to divine critical opinion, but I seriously doubt that God can be all that disappointed in him.

I concede that I need to improve my game a good deal in the world-famous New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest or at least choose better captions, but I'm doing well enough in the less-renowned Moment Cartoon Caption Contest. You say you never heard of it? Well, perhaps you heard of the New Yorker's cartoon editor Bob Mankoff. He draws the cartoons and selects the three caption finalists. I have been named a finalist for the fifth time this year. Read what I have to say about my non-violent caption in the May/June contest. You have until August 10 to vote for your favorite caption or to enter the current contest yourself. Go ahead, I dare you.

01234

No comments:

Post a Comment