Saturday, July 19, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #434

Here is my latest entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #434 for July 7, 2014. The cartoon is by Drew Dernavich.

"Not that song again. Sing 'Peg o' My Heart.'"


The truth is, this cartoon gave me an inordinate amount of trouble. Perhaps you can tell. Here are some of the caption ideas which didn't make the cut.
"And can ye reimagine me for the Broadway stage?"
"You can have Toto back for, say, a white whale."
"Spear me your song and dance."
"What a motley crew!"
"Hast seen the Wicked Witch or the White Whale?"
"Literary classic trumps children's classic."
"You strain credulity."



Charles Harrison - "Peg o' My Heart" (1913)
By Alfred Bryan and Fred Fisher from "Ziegfeld Follies."
Jerry Murad's Harmonicats (1961)





July 21, 2014 Update: The Finalists



August 4, 2014 Update:  Winning Caption

Today you might say the physiatrist, right, Mr. Murphy?


Note:  Last week's New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest featured a preposterous Tom Cheney cartoon that was kind of upside-down. My caption was, I thought, brilliant, only it turns out it wasn't. See the tragic results of Contest #434.

Then there's Drew Dernavich. Why is it so hard for me to write a decent caption for any of his cartoons?

01220

No comments:

Post a Comment