Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Edward Koren: Subscription Clipper?



"Anyone can send for The New Yorker," asserts the 1986 ad in the magazine. Maybe so, but I doubt anyone could convince me to cut a subscription form out of my cherished copy of The New Yorker. Anyone, that is, with the possible exception of cartoonist Edward Koren, whose illustration of a man wielding a giant pair of scissors seems tailor-made for the purpose of having me mutilate my magazine.


Actually, it is not. The drawing is indeed tailor-made, but for a cartoon about a tailor. It appeared in The New Yorker in 1980 and was later repurposed for the subscription ad. You'd hardly know.




Spot illustration by A. Whiting and subscription ad by Edward Koren

Ad by Cusinart and cartoon by Edward Koren


A. Whiting spot





03980

No comments:

Post a Comment