Thursday, June 2, 2022

To Edward Koren's Favorite Visionary

David from Manhattan presents us with some interesting scribblings from cartoonist Edward Koren to his "favorite visionary," ophthalmologist David Pearce. David writes:

The drawings on a single sheet of stationery was accompanied by a letter from June 4, '96. It reads: "I've repaired (i.e. traced the old drawing with more permanent ink) & included a new offering as penance for having the unprofessionalism to give you a tribute with disappearing ink. I may or may
not be in N.Y.C. next week. The search for [a] new principal for our school may claim my trip. Best—Ed"

Presumably the "new offering" is the lively visionary drawing here. A legendary cartoonist's embarrassment over mediocre ink isn't the usual remark from an artist to a fan. One wonders what the retraced drawing looks like. A couple of Koren sketches on NYer or volunteer fire dept. stationery to Dr. Pearce are still on eBay. Both sellers are in Brooklyn, as was mine. I don't recall the purchase price, but an offer got us down to, I believe, $125.







I did not have the presence of mind to archive this eBay auction, but fortunately Worthpoint did hang on to it:







Edward Koren
Worthpoint-archived eBay listing
Note:  Thanks to David from Manhattan for keeping this blog in his thoughts. This is David's forty-ninth contribution here, but I'm not going to call him a perfect square.

Do people really subscribe to Worthpoint? If so, could one of you tell me what this piece sold for?




03974

No comments:

Post a Comment