Monday, September 5, 2022

My Entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #817

"I'd tear the stars down from the sky for you."
—Sammy Cahn
"Until the Real Thing Comes Along"


I saw no point in working that old 1936 Fats Waller song lyric into my caption for The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #817 from the issue of September 5, 2022, and even if I did, how many people today would recognize it? My caption is shown below. The drawing is by Michael Maslin.

"Can you believe there's a Macy's out here?"



These captions didn't shine bright enough:
"I always said I'd tear the stars down from the sky for you."
"I found you a reading light."
"I got us a night light."
"That will give you eyestrain."
"Just try finding one on a cloudy night."
"It's my time to shine."
"Careful, it's pointy."
"I have a five-point rebuttal."
"The earth says hello."
"Nah, it's from Macy's."





September 16, 2022 Update:  The Finalists





September 19, 2022 Update:
  I voted for the caption from St. Paul.



September 26, 2022 Update:
  The Winner







04068

No comments:

Post a Comment