Thursday, September 1, 2022

Sight Unseen: Edward Koren's What About Me?

Vagabond Books of Pasadena didn't have all that much to say about their unique copy of Edward Koren's What About Me? It's described as "a near fine first in wraps signed with drawing." What drawing, you ask? The listing on AbeBooks shows only a photograph of the book's cover, time-stamped in early 2012 and oddly labeled as a stock image. The image is not in any way helpful, but the book was listed reasonably at $35 with a slightly less reasonable $8 shipping charge. In other words, it seemed to me a worthwhile gamble to purchase this book sight unseen. My usual follow up is to report to the blog's readership the results of my reckless behavior. Naturally, I took the plunge.


Edward Koren
AbeBooks listing accessed August 29, 2022
Edward Koren
AbeBooks item description

So, was this a sound purchase? Evidently it was—for somebody else. On August 31, 2022, I was notified by AbeBooks that the order was canceled by the bookseller. I would not after all get to assess the original Koren drawing.

Nothing to see here folks, sorry. But I do wonder what could have happened. Do booksellers really lose track of their inventories and continue to list sold items? I've seen it before, supposedly. 


Note:  I know it's a long shot, but I would still like to hear from the purchaser of this book and to see that original drawing. If you don't have it, that's okay; I'm also eager to see other Koren drawings in other Koren books.





04064

No comments:

Post a Comment