Wednesday, September 21, 2022

All Set for 2023

I just bought my copy of the Cartoons from The New Yorker 2023 Calendar, which offers fans of the art form a cartoon a day. Will that be sufficient? What is the optimal number of cartoons to encounter each day, anyway? To get some idea, let's take a look at The New Yorker magazine itself, which has been publishing many of the finest single-panel cartoons since 1925. The current weekly issue provides only eight cartoons, which some may deem adequate but I see as some sort of dereliction of duty. Nevertheless, eight cartoons over seven days is still fractionally more of a daily ration than the calendar offers. So with the calendar alone, I figure I'm all set for the year—provided I can get by on one cartoon a day. Keeping up my subscription to the magazine should allow me to effectively double that. And if I should want any more, well, I might have to resort to writing a blog or something.

Cover cartoon by Will McPhail





04084

No comments:

Post a Comment