Monday, December 26, 2016

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #550

Okay, I've lined up my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #550 for December 19, 2016. The drawing is by Tom Toro.
"Why, yes, I used to work for Jet Blue. How did you know?"



Here are a couple of throwaways:
"You're in luck. Several upgrades are available."
"I need people who are skilled at leapfrogging."



December 28, 2016 Update:  The Semifinalists

https://www.research.net/r/550MC


January 2, 2017 Update: The Finalists


January 9, 2017 Update:  I forgot to vote again, which may be a good thing because all the captions are so funny this go-round. I do like the whimsicality of the second caption.


January 16, 2017 Update: Winning Caption



Note:  Last time, cartoonist Drew Dernavich got all tied up. My caption needed a restraining order. Get wrapped up in Contest #549.

Queue up to see more blog posts about Tom Toro.

02056

3 comments:

  1. Help me understand what's funny about the "five chairs" caption. Other than replacing years with chairs, I'm not getting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's that and the idea that you will advance toward the front of the boss's office as you move up the corporate ladder.

      Delete
    2. I still don't really get it. So he's asking what the applicant wants to be doing when he's moved up five chairs? To me, that makes very little sense and isn't funny. It's not even clever or original because the "where do you see yourself" has already been a winner (the sphinx). The fact that this won makes me think that I just can't get on the right wavelength for this contest. My caption was similar to yours in that it brought in a brand: "Why do you want to work for Ticketmaster?"

      Delete