Tuesday, December 13, 2016

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #549

Don't move until you've read my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #549 for December 12, 2016. The drawing is by Drew Dernavich.

"I think we're coping with Trump just fine."



And a couple of throwaways:
"We pride ourselves on being huggable."
"Men can still cherish us."




December 15, 2016 Update:  Ten Semifinalists

https://www.research.net/r/549MC



December 25, 2016 Update:  The Finalists



January 2, 2017 Update:  I voted for the second caption.


January 9, 2017 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  Last week cartoonist Tom Cheney broke the sound barrier. My caption wasn't up to speed. See if you can catch up with Contest #548.

Then you can get tied up for a while with some old posts about Drew Dernavich.

02045

4 comments:

  1. I had high hopes for mine this week. It's even more depressing now when you see you can't even crack the top 10-12. : "My door is always open."

    Your Trump caption is great, but I think because so many people attempt Trump-related captions every week, it is really tough to break through with one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very tough contest, but the semifinalists make it look so easy. Fortunately I have an extra week to work on the current one by Tom Toro, which so far has me baffled.

      Delete
    2. I already entered the current one. Have high hopes again. The great thing about this is there's always a new one to distract you from your lack of success. If they discontinue the contest before I win, I don't know what will become of me.

      Delete
    3. Well, it's a very popular contest and a popular feature on this blog. I'm thinking it's got a lot more life in it.

      Delete