Thursday, October 27, 2016

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #542

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #542 for October 24, 2016. The drawing is by Benjamin Schwartz.

"Methinks she has issues with intimacy."
By the way, it isn't a good idea to go and use period language in caption contests. I do it, but I'm a professional. So don't try this at home. Don't try captions like these either:
"Fine, but what else can you grab her by?"
"And she used to seem so unruffled!"

Fortunately, New Yorker cartoon editor Bob Mankoff has gone public with his choice of the top eleven caption submissions as informed by the crowdsourced rankings. A number of these are quite good:
https://www.research.net/r/542MC




October 31, 2016 Update:  The Finalists



November 7, 2016 Update:  I voted for the third caption even though the second was closer to my own.


November 14, 2016 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  Last week cartoonist David Borchart must have buzzed the Grim Reaper into the building. Like Death, my caption-writing skills took a holiday. Throw open the door to Contest #541.

Benjamin Schwartz hardly ever draws any caption contest cartoons. Just kidding.

02003

No comments:

Post a Comment