Monday, October 24, 2016

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #541

Look, I'm very wary of answering the door for anybody, but I'm happy to share my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #541 for October 17, 2016 with all comers. The drawing is by David Borchart.

"Well, I don't fear the sneakers either."


New Yorker cartoon editor Bob Mankoff has revealed his top fourteen captions as informed by the crowd-sourced rankings. I somehow doubt he's a fan of Blue Öyster Cult.
https://www.research.net/r/541MC




The Finalists:



This should explain where my head was this week:
"(Don't Fear) the Reaper" (1976)
Blue Öyster Cult



October 31, 2016 Update:  I voted for the third caption.


November 7, 2016 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  Last week, cartoonist Will McPhail's doctor played it safe. My caption missed the diagnosis entirely. Break into Contest #540.

See what else David Borchart has reaped in the blog archives.

There's simply no way you're going to find any other posts on this blog about Death, so don't even ask.

What do you suppose are the odds that New Yorker cartoonist Joe Dator's classic rock podcast Songs You're Sick Of' had a recent episode about Blue Öyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) the Reaper" that included a shout-out at the end to yours truly? Actually, they're better than you might think.

02001

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that's my entry on Bob Mankoff's list, (so much for death with dignity) and I wouldn't have known about it if not for your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! That in itself is quite an achievement!

      Delete