Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Barney Tobey and the Friends of Central Park

Any work of original New Yorker art by Barney Tobey shows his amazing facility with the gag cartoon genre. Here he has created a scene in Central Park with ten distinct figures, nine of whom have strong opinions as to the proper decorum for the park.

Barney Tobey, "I'll tell you who we are! We are the Friends of Central Park."
Original art, The New Yorker, July 29, 1974, page 35

Swann Auction Galleries, January 28, 2016
Swann Auction Galleries catalogue, January 28, 2016

Barney Tobey, "I'll tell you who we are! We are the Friends of Central Park."
The New Yorker, July 29, 1974, page 35

Barney Tobey, "I'll tell you who we are! We are the Friends of Central Park."
The New Yorker, July 29, 1974, page 35



Note:  I'll tell you who we are! We are the Friends of Barney Tobey.

Or do I mean Central Park?

Consult the archives for more about original New Yorker cartoon art.

01781

No comments:

Post a Comment