Saturday, October 18, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #446

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #446 for October 13, 2014. The drawing is by P. C. Vey.


"If you can't stand the heat, go into the kitchen."

Here are a couple more of my captions that simply weren't worthy of a five-star menu:

"I hope you like pot luck."
"I've been burned here before."



October 20, 2014 Update: The Finalists


November 3, 2014 Update:  Winning Caption



Note: Last week cartoonist Tom Cheney took us to an automobile showroom offering a menacing creature that seemed to be half-car, half-beast. Crafting a winning caption for such an incongruous subject would require a careful command of comic nuance along with an offbeat flair for the unconventional possibilities of language. I submitted a fart joke. See the highly-combustible results of Contest #445.

P. C. Vey's zany cartoons are well-suited to the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest. See how I've approached his cartoons in the archives.


01310

No comments:

Post a Comment