Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Undersea World of Claude Smith

This is an original single-panel gag cartoon by Claude Smith recently sold on eBay for just $20. The auction listing provides no caption and no publication history, so I'd love to hear from anyone who can shed some light on where, when, and how this drawing was used. In the meantime, for want of anything better, I'd like to propose my very own original caption: "But how on earth could they know you had the idea way before Jacques Cousteau?"

Thank you. I'll be here all week.


Claude Smith



Claude Smith Scuba eBay Winning Bid
Claude Smith Scuba eBay Item Description



Claude Smith


March 27, 2014 Update:
After a year of entering cartoon caption contests, I feel I have a better understanding of the elements of caption writing. Here then is my new proposed caption for this Claude Smith cartoon:
Claude Smith
Proposed caption:  "For heaven's sake, Arnold, you have no case against Jacques Cousteau."
0472

No comments:

Post a Comment