Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Gordon's Copy of Quelques philosophes by Jean-Jacques Sempé

It's a shame that we don't know the true sale price of a copy of Quelques philosophes signed by the great Jean-Jacques Sempé in November 1997 and inscribed to one Gordon. The book's title translates as Some Philosophers and it has a thoughtful drawing that one might even call philosophical. It was sold last year on eBay for a best offer somewhere under $1,199, but exactly how far under is unknown.






"When I think that it will all disappear, one day!"

"We seem so insignificant."


"What is needed, in fact, is a de-mo-cra-ti-za-tion of democracy."
Community Verified icon




"I regret the small room I occupied before; I felt smarter . . ."


Jean-Jacques Sempé
eBay listing ended December 18, 2022

Jean-Jacques Sempé
eBay item description





July 8, 2023 Update:  I added translations of four of the captions, aided by Google Translate and modifying the result as best I could into more idiomatic English. French speakers are welcome to make suggestions. I found the mirror cartoon, with that interjected ça, to be particularly challenging.



Note:  The $1,199 asking price sounds high to me, but without knowing the deal that was ultimately struck, it's hard to say. I'd like to hear from successful eBay negotiators about the deals they make on items like this one, that is, items related to original work by New Yorker artists. 






04315

No comments:

Post a Comment