Friday, March 4, 2022

Mick Stevens: All in the Past?

An original New Yorker cartoon by Mick Stevens first published almost thirty years ago shows, very likely, some fading but is in otherwise good condition. The gag itself hasn't aged badly at all. In fact, it is one of the few cartoons that actually appeared twice in the pages of the magazine, having been published in 1993 and subsequently reprised in The New Yorker's 1997 Cartoon Issue. The original art sold last weekend for only half its low estimate, although it's hard to know exactly what that says about the market when the auction house didn't even get the artist's name right.

"I know what I said ten minutes ago. That was the old me talking."
Mick Stevens
Framed original art
The New Yorker, May 3, 1993
The New Yorker, December 15, 1997

"I know what I said ten minutes ago. That was the old me talking."
Mick Stevens
Original art
The New Yorker, May 3, 1993
The New Yorker, December 15, 1997

Mick Stevens's signature




Mick Stevens
Sarasota Estate Auction, February 26, 2022








"I know what I said ten minutes ago. That was the old me talking."
Mick Stevens
Original art
The New Yorker, May 3, 1993
The New Yorker, December 15, 1997

Cartoon by Mick Stevens and advertisement by Macy's



This drawing is one of only a few to be published in the magazine twice, here in the Cartoon Issue of December 15, 1997:
"Encores"
Cartoons by Leo Cullum, Tom Cheney, Mick Stevens, Jon Agee, and Charles Barsotti






03894

No comments:

Post a Comment