Sunday, January 12, 2020

Danny Shanahan: A New Yorker Promotional Magnet

I have been subscribing to the New Yorker since before I set foot in high school, so I don't often receive mailings targeted at new subscribers. A colleague of mine who does receive such mailings, thinking I might for some reason be interested, surprised me with the gift of a promotional refrigerator magnet that was included in a subscription offer. It boasts "THE BEST WRITING ANYWHERE, EVERYWHERE" in all caps for those who think that's how the best writing looks. All kidding aside, I suppose it's really done so that the word EVERYWHERE may appear in capitals in the Irvin font like the magazine's logo.

The magnet is illustrated not with a well-crafted sentence or paragraph but with a wordless 2012 cartoon by Danny Shanahan showing a family reading at the beach. Who can fault the New Yorker for promoting its editorial content with a cartoon? Certainly not I. Finally, since no practitioner of fridge magnet design can leave well-enough alone, the cartoon does not appear as Mr. Shanahan intended, but with the superfluous addition of an orange sun overlapping the beach umbrella.

The New Yorker promotional magnet

The cartoon as Danny Shanahan intended it:
Danny Shanahan
The New Yorker, June 4, 2012, page 62


The cartoon as the New Yorker presented it:
Cartoon by Danny Shanahan

Here's a rough transcript of the conversation that ensued after I was given the magnet:

docnad:  Thank you so much. So, did you subscribe?

Colleague:  No. I already get New York magazine. It has lots of pictures.

docnad:  The New Yorker has pictures too.

Colleague:  It has cartoons. I like pictures.

And there you have it.

03135

No comments:

Post a Comment