Thursday, February 23, 2017

James Stevenson: Morning Reprieve

The second original cartoon by the late James Stevenson (1929-2017) shown at the Westport Historical Society on April 25, 2014 during the exhibition "Cover Story: The New Yorker in Westport" presents a scene of uncertain domestic tranquility. Stevenson has placed the kitchen window in the center of the composition, allowing the couple to be backlit from opposite sides.

"Good morning, my dear. Could that look mean I'm not on your hit list?"
James Stevenson
Original art
The New Yorker, July 20, 1981, page 29



"Good morning, my dear. Could that look mean I'm not on your hit list?"
James Stevenson
The New Yorker, July 20, 1981, page 29



Note:  With the passing of cartoonist James Stevenson (1929-2017), Attempted Bloggery would like to hear from anyone with original artwork, photos, or signed books that shed light on this essential New Yorker artist.

Quick Links to Attempted Bloggery's Archives
James Stevenson (1929-2017)
Original New Yorker Cartoon Art
Westport Historical Society

02109

2 comments:

  1. I own an original James Stevenson. “I think you have the most Chekhovian household in Southampton” (or words to that effect). I’d like to send you a picture of it via email. AndrewZerman@Gmail.com. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. You can also find my email on my blogger profile.

      Delete