Monday, January 23, 2017

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #554

With the demise first of the Big Apple Circus, and then of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, what could be more poignant than an out-of-work clown? Ladies and gentlemen, in the center ring is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #554 for January 23, 2017. The drawing is by Mick Stevens.

"We don't have any seltzer bottles."



January 27, 2017 Update:  The Semifinalists
https://www.research.net/r/554MC

January 30, 2017 Update:  The Finalists
Note that the first caption finalist was not among the ten semifinalists we were asked to vote on. I suspect cartoon editor Bob Mankoff had second thoughts on this one.


February 6, 2017 Update:  I voted for the second caption.


February 20, 2017 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  Last week, cartoonist Joe Dator found humor in the apocalypse. For me and my caption, it couldn't come soon enough. See the end result of Contest #553.

Clown around with Mick Stevens.

Let's run off together and join the circus. How's my timing?

02078

No comments:

Post a Comment