Thursday, April 18, 2013

National Library Week: Whitney Darrow, Jr.

My one-man celebration of  National Library Week continues. As I revealed yesterday, I am drawn to depictions of private libraries rather than public ones, which is another way of saying I'm using the weeklong celebration as an excuse to do what I would probably be doing anyway. We've been together a long time now, nearly 700 blog posts, and I am now giving away a few of my blogging secrets. Don't go telling everyone, please.

Here's another secret: I love sexist cartoons. Not all of them, of course, but choice drawings by the likes of Peter Arno and Whitney Darrow, Jr. seem funnier to me than anything published in our own politically correct times. Here's one of my favorites. I'm not going to apologize for it. Happy National Library Week!

"I don't know what it is, Mr. Mardley, but there's
something about this room that gives me the willies."
Whitney Darrow, Jr.,
The New Yorker, February 27, 1954, page 34


0695

No comments:

Post a Comment