Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Where's Miley?

Some may have noticed that an unusual thing happened this time around with my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #470 for April 13, 2015. My caption seems to bear a passing resemblance to what ultimately became the winning caption, with the one proviso that it is actually its exact opposite! To be sure, the winning caption for Frank Cotham's drawing is far more succinct than that wordy caption I wrote, yet the similar--and no doubt very common--thought process behind Tyler Smith's caption and my own is obvious. It's as if I thought I'd thrown a perfect strike and instead hit second base. Anyway, it's reassuring to know that I might have fared well if I'd submitted my caption on Opposite Day.

My Caption
The Winning Caption


Miley Cyrus
"Wrecking Ball" (2013)





01518

No comments:

Post a Comment