Friday, August 29, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #439

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #439 for August 25, 2014. The cartoon is by Corey Pandolph.

"Two out of three customers can't tell beer from WD-40."


I had difficulty with this one. There were other captions I considered for a while, but eventually they got derailed.
"It's the end of the drinking car as we know it."
"There's no one here from that line."
"I thought I'd heard every line."
"We need a designated conductor."

"We need a designated engineer."
"I'm serving WD-40, but they don't know the difference."

"The derailment was really hard on them."
"The drinking cars are soon to be sleeping cars."
"They've gone off-line."
"That's right, they need a ride home."
"They come from the wrong side of the tracks."

September 1, 2014 Update:  The Finalists


September 15, 2014 Update:  Winning Caption



Note:  Last week Matthew Diffee drew a gigantic cat and I submitted a caption I thought was just purr-fect, only the contest judges didn't agree. It seems they never do. See the pet-friendly results for Contest #438.

Corey Pandolph's previous Caption Contest drawing was a scene right out of my daily commute with the possible exception of a giant squid. No wonder I couldn't come up with a decent caption. See the results for Contest #417.

01263

No comments:

Post a Comment