Saturday, July 27, 2024

More Issues of College Humor from 1936 and 1937

My reason for pursuing old issues of College Humor magazine is simple. I am looking to document the cartoons that Peter Arno contributed. His work for The New Yorker is legendary, of course, but his contributions to College Humor are largely forgotten except, perhaps, to readers of this blog. The other great cartoonists in each issue are just a wonderful bonus.


On July 12, I picked up three issues with fresh Arno content—August 1936, November 1936, and January 1937—in addition to the four copies I just bought in June. I have already posted the "Side-Show" feature from these, each with three Arno cartoons.


The August 1936 number has pin-up art on the cover by R. F. Schabelitz. How else would one sell a humor magazine? Oh, right, by listing some of the prominent contributors on the cover.

R. F. Schabelitz
College Humor, August 1936

R. Schabelitz's printed signature

Would you like to come up to my dormitory and see my etchings? New Yorker cartoonist Peggy Bacon is one of the artists.



"Life's big question" and maybe not just for 1936:

Campus cartoonists try to ape the style of the pros. That's not really a surprise, is it?

The eBay seller who chose not to photograph the Arno spread did choose to include this one:

The subscription ad, right, is illustrated by Jefferson Machamer:

On pages 42 and 43, we see cartoons by Gregory d'Alessio, Lawrence Lariar, and Syd Hoff. I should be able to get better pictures even with my refusal to use a scanner.

Victor Hugo approves of Camels. No, not that Victor Hugo.

Let me offer a little insight into the nuances of my negotiating technique. The magazine was listed on eBay for $10.00. But there was marker writing on the cover, for crying out loud, so I felt it was fair to offer $7.00 instead. My offer was not accepted and there was no counteroffer from the seller. After moping for a couple of weeks, I eventually came up to $8.00 and that offer was accepted.
College Humor, August 1936
eBay listing ended July 12, 2024
College Humor, August 1936
eBay item description



The second issue I found was November 1936. The cover is by Sam Berman. His football scenario requires a convoluted explanation on the contents page.

Sam Berman
Photographed by Dudley Lee
College Humor, November 1936





Camel cigarettes: golfers, bowlers, and busy homemakers swear by them.

College Humor, November 1936
eBay listing accessed July 12, 2024








The January 1937 cover is by Samuel Berman. You can read the expression on her face—or you can read the writing in the ice.
Samuel Berman
Photographed by Dudley Lee
College Humor,  January 1937


Do you have Prince Albert in a can?

College Humor, January 1937
eBay listing ended July 12, 2024



College Humor, January 1937
eBay item description







There is actually a fourth issue from the same seller as the November 1936 and January 1937 issues. The magazine from September 1937 was one that I had already photographed at Columbia University in the Steven Boss Collection, so this was not a part of any Arno quest. For a mere $2.70, I figured, why not add it to my own library?

The cover is by puppeteer Bil Baird. Young romance is a sort of merry-go-round, isn't it?









Note:  Imagine what you would see if some kind-hearted friend were to give you a link to all the Attempted Bloggery posts currently showing Peter Arno cartoons from College Humor. That's right, every last one.




04703

No comments:

Post a Comment