Monday, May 16, 2022

My Entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #802

This week, I tried to scale the heights of caption writing for The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #802 from the issue of May 16, 2022. My entry is shown below. The drawing is by Ellis Rosen.

"After this photo, we'll be the only Famous Ray's."




These captions left me hanging:
"Please observe our strict no tipping policy."
"Plus an extra $90 for delivery."
"I don't suppose you have a bathroom I can use."
"You can just forget about our freshness guarantee."
"Haven't you heard of lunchboxes?"
"Just a heads up:  You're being watched."
"I can't keep doing this for minimum wage."
"Let me just run down for your sodas."
"Why can't you build the elevators first?"



Once I hit on the idea of Ray's, a ubiquitous and confusing name in New York pizza, I tried out a few variants:

"But we ARE the original Ray's."
"Well, which Ray's did you want?"
"Then which Ray's did you want?"
"After this photo, we'll be Famous Ray's."






May 28, 2022 Update:
  The Finalists





May 30, 2022 Update:
  I voted for the caption from Novato.


June 11, 2022 Update:
  The Winner






03958

No comments:

Post a Comment