Sunday, October 3, 2021

George Booth: The Poor Cat in the Corner

If I have a flaw, and my wife will tell you I have many, it is a willingness to ignore issues of condition where artwork is concerned—and, no, that's not even one from her list. For me, the story of an art object is the story of the artist's encounter with it. How this particular piece, let's say a book with an original drawing, has been cared for and preserved in the time since that encounter is an important issue, but for me ultimately a secondary one to how it came into being in the first place.


But there are always exceptions, even for me. A copy of Rehearsal's Off! (1976) currently listed on eBay has an original George Booth drawing, quite lovely indeed, of a cat sitting in the corner as seen from behind. It is a classic Booth feline and is listed at $175. I might almost spring for it, except for one problem:




There is significant damage to the book. There is an obtrusive stain that runs vertically right through the drawn image. Alas!



In the understated words of the eBay seller, "Some pages in the beginning have stain. Dust-jacket left a mark on first page. Otherwise good." 

I offered the seller $40, probably as high as I'm willing to go for the book in this "otherwise good" condition. The seller refused, then privately offered me the book at $150. Nothing doing.


It's a real shame, but despite the beautiful drawing, I don't think the book is worth my pursuing any further in this condition. The listing remains active on eBay for anyone who feels otherwise.












George Booth
eBay listing accessed January 19, 2021

"Otherwise good."
George Booth

eBay item description


February 4, 2022 Update:  Sold (for an undisclosed best offer)!




Note:  Original drawings by George Booth are actively sought here for use in future blog posts.



03768

No comments:

Post a Comment