Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Scott Burns's Copy of Manhattan Oases by Al Hirschfeld

I wrapped up my Al Hirschfeld posts neatly and tied them with a bow on Sunday well in time for his birthday, which fell yesterday, on Monday. Yet after ten years of writing this blog, I continue to be surprised by the high quality work that comes my way when I least expect it. By now, I should know better and be ready for it. This time it was Scott Burns who sent me his copy of another early Hirschfeld book with yet another magnificent self-portrait. But that's not all. Scott writes:

I’m probably late to the party but here’s another nice self-portrait of Hirschfeld. His first book Manhattan Oases (1932), unfortunately not in the best condition. Also something you don’t see often. A color insert in the May 3, 1943 issue of The Hollywood Reporter promoting the MGM musical “Cabin in the Sky” featuring Lena Horne and Duke Ellington.

You're not late to the party at all, Scott. Hirschfeld's work is worth remembering on his birthday because it's worth remembering every day. I'm pleased to continue the Hirschfeld celebration beyond his birthday with these images.

As a historical note, Prohibition was still in force in 1932 when Hirschfeld published Manhattan Oases, his book on speakeasies. But it was getting old.




It's evident that Hirschfeld's movie work is every bit as vivid and expressive as his theater work:
Al Hirschfeld
"Cabin in the Sky" (1943)

 
Jim Henry's Paradise
"Cabin in the Sky" (1943)







Note:  I am grateful to Scott Burns for sharing scans of his wonderful Hirschfeld book. There's nothing like the posts of the last few days to convince me that I should have devoted some of the 1980s to hunting down Hirschfeld with old books for signing. But I was busy then, as I recall, and that kind of advance planning is really not my way, even today. For the record, I also think the "Cabin in the Sky" art is fantastic and my thanks extend to that as well.



03665

No comments:

Post a Comment