Sunday, June 27, 2021

George Booth: A Song After Dark

Cartoonist George Booth turns 95 tomorrow. That makes today the perfect occasion to enjoy the original art from one of his 1978 New Yorker man-in-the-bathtub cartoons. It was sold at Swann Galleries some four decades after publication in regrettably faded condition. It is generally accepted wisdom that a cartoonist should strive to simplify compositions and omit unnecessary detail. Thank goodness Booth doesn't follow that advice.

"Last night I heard a cicada."
George Booth
Original art
The New Yorker, June 19, 1978, page 35


George Booth
Swann Auction Galleries
March 21, 2017
Hammer price

With buyer's premium



Spot drawing by Lászlo Roth and cartoon by George Booth








Note:  I've been hearing a cicada or two recently myself.

I would be happy to post more original drawings by George Booth that are held in private collections. Please share scans or photos with me.


August 7, 2021 Update:  The spot artist is evidently Lászlo Roth. I have updated the post accordingly.





03670

No comments:

Post a Comment