Monday, July 15, 2013

My Entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #387

 It's been under wraps until now, but here is my entry in The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #387. The drawing is by Carolita Johnson.

"I have a secret too. I'm blind."



For me, the most difficult thing about the Cartoon Caption Contest is the requirement that only one caption by submitted each week. This means I must eliminate some of my own less-inspired ideas, and I can grow fond of them, believe me. I like it when I can get just one good idea and go with it. Often I find I have too many ideas that are just good enough and then I have to make a very difficult choice. That's when I end up second-guessing myself regarding which captions I've eliminated. This week's cartoon presented an embarrassment of riches, so I thought I might share with you this example of my working process. After only three months of lukewarm submissions, I don't claim any special expertise. I really do like this cartoon, by the way, but again it suggested way too many caption ideas.

"Don't you think I can recognize my ex-husband, Frank?"
"I give up. Who's wanted for larceny in three states?"
"You're in luck. I have a thing for men of mystery."
"Weren't you here last year? I never forget a paper bag."
"I have a secret too. I'm blind."
"Did you really think I'd get in the sack with you?"
"I don't use plastic either."
"You forgot a mouth hole."
"Can I buy you a mask?"
"Why all the cloak-and-dagger, Mr. Snowden?"
"Tonto just left, Kimosabe."
"After this, would you like to go shopping?"


July 22, 2013 Update:  The Finalists


August 5, 2013 Update:  Winning Caption




Note:  My previous entry in the Cartoon Caption Contest, a bit of medical humor with a caption by someone who usually doesn't find medicine humorous, can be found here.

0810

11 comments:

  1. I like the caption you decided to go with and think you made the right choice. I hope you win. I also like the Snowden caption. Bagheads are such a nuisance, not to mention they could also be (and probably are)dangerous psychos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leocadia. I was afraid the Snowden caption would quickly lose its timeliness as his situation changed. Also, I don't find him at all amusing.

    "Bagheads are such a nuisance!" Leo, perhaps you should be writing some captions yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^^ I hate it when that happens. I tried to make a smiley face with the colon and the right parenthesis and it didn't work so I deleted the comment. I thought that would be the end of it. Then I figured an explanation about what I deleted and why would be a good thing to offer, now I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, 2 questioning eyes. The comment I deleted was only intended to be a smiley face - no words :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to put a :-) there myself. No raised eyebrows were intended.

      Delete
  6. This is now teetering on silly and requires not only a :-) but an LOL as well. Keep up the good work. Your blog is something to be proud of. Leo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leo. Yours too, even though it never was….

      Delete